Monday, June 29, 2009

kid-free getaway

For Memorial Day weekend, Chris and I headed away for a much needed 3-night, kids-free Caribbean getaway. Being the first time that we were leaving Andrew for more than one night, I was a nervous mess leading up to the trip. However, I knew without a doubt that all would be good once I was parked on a tropical beach, refreshment in hand. I am an anti-all-inclusive or big resort kind of girl, instead favoring more out of the way, lazy little beach towns. Our destination for this particular trip was Cabarete, a wonderful beach town on north coast of the Dominican Republic.
We had never been before, but I had read many great things about the town. After hours of my usual Trip Advisor research, I booked us a 2 bedroom apartment at the Hotel Alegria. Obviously 2 bedrooms was much larger than Chris and I needed, but at $80/night, it could not be beat. Cabarete is a quick 3.5 hr non-stop flight from Newark... perfect for a long weekend getaway. Once in the DR, it was then just a 20 minute cab ride into Cabarete. As soon as we arrived in town, I knew Chris and I would love it. It was not quite as "sleepy" as some of our favorite destinations in Costa Rica, but it had a great local vibe and no signs of your typical Americanized tourist desinations - no McDonalds or Starbucks.
We checked into the hotel... perfect by the way... and quickly made our way to the beach. Warm Caribbean water here we come. As soon as our toes hit the sand, all the stresses of the everyday melted away. Ahhh... its good to be on vacation.
The three days we spent there were just enough. Half way through the second day, we both found ourselves missing our little man. Many of our conversations turned to how wonderful it would be to come back withAndrew. Next trip will be the whole fam.

No comments: