Friday, August 7, 2009

separation anxiety

I am a working mom, so (although it is not my favorite thing in the world) my little guy goes to daycare. He is with either my parents or my in-laws two days a week, but then goes to an actual daycare for three. I love love love his daycare. He was going to a different place when I first returned to work, but we since changed…. And could not be happier. It is a small private program, that some might describe as a little crunchy. They focus on a creative curriculum (which still baffles me considering he is only 10 months old) and spend a good deal of the day outside in the play area or veggie garden. He comes home dirty just as a little boy should… not dirty as in unclean, but dirty as in he has been play play playing all day long.

Most mornings when I drop him off the routine stays fairly consistent… one of the morning caregivers scoop him out of my arms upon arrival (they just can’t get enough of his cheeks!) and take him to play as I sign him in and chat briefly with the other girls on staff. I then give him a big kiss goodbye, he gives me the “you can totally leave because I am having a good time with my friends" look, and I head on my way. Well, not this morning. After I gave him a kiss on his head, his eyes began to well up and before I knew it he was in full on tears. My first instinct was to scoop him into my arms and walk right out the door with him. Somehow I was able to hold back, realizing that this was his first demonstration of separation anxiety. One of the girls picked him and took him to another area to play, trying to distract him as I walked out the door. It took all my strength to leave him for the day. I cried a bit on my way to work, but found comfort in the fact that he was upset because I was leaving… mehis mom. It feels good to know that he feels the connection just as strongly as I do.

Man, I love my little guy… I can’t wait to be pick him up in an hour and give him the biggest hug in the world!!

6 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Oh, I wrote about this as well...I could talk for-ev-er about this topic. Leaving your little one is so hard, BUT what gives you peace of mind is knowing he is in a safe, loving, and nurturing environment (which sounds like he is because you are so happy with it).

BTW, I added you to my blogroll! ;)

Mandee said...

Oh how sweet! Doesn't it just melt your heart? I have a little guy that won't let me leave. He is completely glued to me. I love it, but sometimes I wish he wanted Daddy just a little more. It's great to feel that they need you though!

KayceeT said...

My 15 month old daughter has been going through a spell with seperation anxiety. It is the WORST feeling leaving when they are crying! I hope it gets easier. I'm sure it's a stage that will pass (hopefully soon!)

natalee said...

stop by my blog and pick up an award..hugs..natalee

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

you are so brave! it takes a lot of strength to do the right thing and not scoop them up when they get like that!

It does feel kinda good when your baby doesn't want you to leave though... when sophia clings to me and won't go to anyone, i try to act all cool but inside my heart is melting... I LOVE IT! is that wrong?

http://wannabeworkathomemommy.blogspot.com

Xenia said...

Since I'm a SAHM, I haven't had to go through this yet, but my almost-3-year-old is starting preschool in less than a month and I feel like I'm going to be the one who is going to need the extra hugs! She definitely needs to learn how to be places without me... but on the other hand, it's okay that she loves being with her Mama, right?

Also, from the picture in your Header, I can't blame the girls for scooping your son up from you, I think I'd like a little munch on those cheeks myself!