Thursday, July 30, 2009

jersey all the way

I work in Philadelphia, but I live in South Jersey. Although my commute is less than 20 minutes and Philly is only separated from Jersey by a river and a few bridges, the popular opinion of many Philadelphians is that Jersey is a whole other world… especially when it comes to its women… often not so affectionately referred to as Jersey Girls.

Earlier this week I was a few minutes late for a meeting and walked into a conversation between three slightly younger female co-workers. One, a recent transplant from Florida, was describing a woman she had seen somewhere the previous weekend. Her description included too much makeup, too little clothes, excessive amounts of jewelry and ridiculous hair. She finished by labeling the woman as “sparkly”. One of the other females in the room responded, “oh my god… so Jersey.” The conversation then continued on to all of the wonderful stereotypes about women from New Jersey, only heighted in recent months by The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Miss Florida proceeded to ask, “Why are all of the women in the state so excessive and cheesy?” Ok, wait a minute… this is where I jumped in.

I am Jersey all the way. Born and raised off exit 8 of the NJTP (those from here know that a turnpike or parkway exit can clearly describe where you live). Aside from short stints in upstate NY for college, England and Spain after college, California, and Philly for a bit, New Jersey has been home. I now live a bit further south from where I grew up, but still in the great Garden State. I don’t have big hair (haven’t since Jr High), wear excessive makeup (I barely have time for any makeup since my little guy came along), I dress fairly conservative and I have never had any designs painted on my nails. The same can be said for all of my girlfriends as well. In fact, the same can be said for pretty much all (ok, most) of the women I know. You will from time to time come across the stereotypical Jersey Girl in this great state of ours, but honestly people, that is not the norm.

Beyond just the Jersey Girl stereotype, NJ is often the brunt of many jokes. The “armpit of America” nickname is one we can never seem to shake. During the above referenced work conversation, one female, a current resident of Philly whose parents live in Virginia, mentioned that her parents often ask her, “Why on earth would you ever go to the Jersey shore? Isn’t it dirty?” and “Is there any way to avoid the state altogether when driving from Virginia to Boston?” Wow people. Trust me… the state is not that bad. Granted we do not have the splendor of California or the natural beauty of Colorado for example, but this state does have quite a bit to offer. We are smack in between two great cities, New York and Philadelphia. We have many wonderful small all-American towns and our shoreline is filled with great beach towns that come alive in the summer and offer quiet retreats in the off-season months. All in all, New Jersey is a pretty great place. I am proud to call it home and I wear the Jersey Girl label with pride.

11 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Amen sister!!!
I am a native New Jersey girl, born and raised here and will stay here for life. I grew up at the Jersey shore and wouldn't change a thing! We have the best of everything. In under 2 hours, you can get into the city, drive to the shore or up to the mountains. I agree, we may not have the amazing landscape that other states offer, but the Garden State isn't too sabby, especially in the Fall. I TOTALLY related to this post! Well said. It's so nice to blog with a fellow Jersey girl! :)

KayceeT said...

I hope you gave those girls a piece of your mind! I know how annoying stereotypes can be...I'm from KY. And although you can probably find people in KY that match up with the common sterotypes, it's not everyone and you can probably find those type of people in about every state.
I've only been through New Jersey once (on a train to NY) & enjoyed the sites. Nice post!

natalee said...

ay for jersey girls,,love your blog..natalee.. http://totmama.blogspot.com/

The Fertility Shop said...

I'm a jersey girl too!! I live in the mountains here and the next town over from the Real Housewives of NJ. I even did a post on my blog about it.

Yes, there are plenty of women like the ones on the tv show, but there are plenty of women like that in most states.

In what other part of the country can you have beautiful mountain views, awesome sunsets from your office window and be half an hour from anything you could possibly ever want to do in NYC?

Nanny Dee said...

Hi -- stopping by and following from MBC!

This is a great post -- I guess many people have stereotypical views of what people are like from other states.

We have the vo-dylander stereotype here in RI. When I lived in MA everyone thought we pahked the cahs.

Thanks for showing a different side of Jersey!

Dee
http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com

Theta Mom said...

I know I already commented on this, but I wanted to let you know I've given you an award! Come by thetamom to collect. ;)

Xenia said...

I've never been to NJ, but I feel your pain. I'm here in WI and it's like all anyone thinks is that I must live on a farm and hang out with cows all day. Sure, there are farms and cows here, but hello? Big cities, too! We're not all hicks!

Great post, I'm sure all the Jersey Girls (or at least the ones that don't have big hair) are happy to see it in print. :)

p.s. Found/following you through MBC!
http://thanksmailcarrier.blogspot.com

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post and the cutest picture in your header....enjoyed my visit...

KimmyD said...

I'm live in Westchester, NY. I didn't relize we're neighnors. lol I love Jersey! I have a lot of great family memories vacationing at the shore. People make fun of it, yet thousands go there every year for vacation right? Forget those girls. Be proud!

natalee said...

Yay.. jersey girl.. I am now a follower.. I'm with ya.. i love ny state too .. im a follower now and will be back..natalee http://totmama.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Hope you set them straight that your not all Sparkly girls..all though I do love that. I'm Canadian and can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people that no we don't wear coats 12 months of the year! Shesh Some people!