Friday, July 17, 2009

the must haves and the completely unnecessary: some tips for expectant mothers

As a first-time expectant mother the idea of registering is exciting... yay stuff! Cute little baby stuff! Then you actually get to Babies R' Us and you quickly go from excited and enthusiastic, to overwhelmed and confused. Your more experienced friend, who has agreed to show you the ropes and tell you what you “really really” need, drags you from aisle to aisle talking about bouncers, diaper pails, breast pumps and wipe warmers. What you thought would be a fun hour spent zapping away with the scan gun, turns into a three hour ordeal and leaves you feeling even more unprepared for your coming bundle of joy. If I don’t even know what I need for this baby, how am I going to know what to do for it? You survive the registering adventure only to make daily changes to the registry online after reading countless reviews and customer ratings.

I will not claim to be the all-knowing expert on everything required to be “ready” for baby. However, in the 9-months since my little man arrived, I have found that there are some baby products that you absolutely cannot live without when you first bring baby home and others that are completely unnecessary:

The Must Haves…
· Plenty of onesies and sleepers – both newborn and one size up, because some babies come out a little bigger than others
· Diapers and wipes to get you started when you come home from the hospital – so your husband avoids a frantic rush to an all-night pharmacy
· Receiving blankets and burp cloths – lots of them
· A comprehensive newborn / infant resource book – you will need something to turn to with middle of the night questions
· A soothing sound machine for baby to sleep to – aaahhh… the comforting sounds of the womb
· An odor minimizing diaper pail – either the Genie or the Champ works, just have something
· A dual-motion swing – the side-to-side and back-and-forth option has helped soothe many a fussy baby (and saved the sanity of their parents)
· A bouncer, ideally with vibration and music – you cannot possibly hold baby all the time in those first months
· A stroller that really is easy to open and close – be sure to practice before bringing baby home and trying to open it with one hand, while holding baby in the other
· An infant car seat with easily adjustable straps – again, practice before baby
· Formula if you plan on bottle feeding
· Bottles and pacifiers (if you plan to use them)
· A first-aid / grooming kit complete with nasal aspirator, thermometer and baby nail-clippers
· Pack n’ Play with changing table that ideally can be set up in whatever room you will be spending the most time in
· An exersaucer or jumper – once baby has good head control they will love being able to be upright to play (plus, it can give mom a few minutes to get something done)

The Unnecessary…
· A wipe warmer – many a baby’s behinds have been wiped with un-warmed wipes, and they are just fine
· Shoes – if you do not yet walk, you do not need shoes
· Fancy outfits – honestly, the simpler the better
· An overabundance of toys – for the first few months, you will be your baby’s favorite entertainment

And for the breast feeding mamas…
· Lansinoh nipple cream – trust me… if you are breastfeeding, you will need it
· Nursing bras at least one size larger than either you or the lady at the bra shop thinks you should get
· A couple of bottles and a small can of formula, just in case

4 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Yay, I got on! Can I tell you that I CRIED when my husband and I registered the first time?! By the time we hit the stroller section, I was done. I never realized I would have to choose between 100 models/types of strollers!!! I went back a few days later with my sis-in-law who guided me down each aisle!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Hi Alexandra!
Welcome to the Mom Blogger World!

Lansinoh was the best thing that ever happened to me and I wish someone would have given it to me at the baby shower!

I worked fulltime (still do) while I was pregnant and HELL was a more desirable place to spend a Saturday than Babies R Us on a weekend so I registered for everything online. Needless to say I spent every waking moment changing my registery items after reading sometimes terrifying reviews. Of course, in the end, I still had to go ON A SATURDAY to exchange a couple of items after my baby shower.

I look forward to following your blog.

http://wannabeworkathomemommy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your lists. We got lots of cute outfits for my first daughter which I never wanted to use because she had constant blow outs and ruined many an outfit.

Breast feeding mamas might also want disposable breast pads vs. the cloth ones that don't prevent leaking at all.

Samantha said...

great list, I agree! My son is 4 months and has never worn shoes- we got a couple cute ones but I never even thought about putting them on!